19" Tires for Performance Model? Anyone Do This?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't want 18s
Don't want 20s

AWD Performance Model without Performance Upgrade, came with 18" Aeros

TireRack says 19" tires for AWD Performance must have a Load Index of 98, which is what the MXM4 tires that came with the 18" Aero wheels are.

Problem is that the 19" tire size for the AWD and RWD is 235/40/19, and NOBODY makes this size with a Load Index of 98 or higher. TireRack is suggesting the MXM4 that is 235/45/19 because they are 98 Load, and say this difference is minor and not an issue.

Sounds iffy to me, and has me worried. Anyone agree this different size is okay?

Or does anyone know, do I really need the Tire Load Index to be at least 98 for the AWD Performance Model?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
235/40 to 235/45 won't be a problem. :)
This is incorrect. 235/45/19 will not fit. 235/40/19 is the correct size for 19" rims

Don't want 18s
Don't want 20s

AWD Performance Model without Performance Upgrade, came with 18" Aeros

TireRack says 19" tires for AWD Performance must have a Load Index of 98, which is what the MXM4 tires that came with the 18" Aero wheels are.

Problem is that the 19" tire size for the AWD and RWD is 235/40/19, and NOBODY makes this size with a Load Index of 98 or higher. TireRack is suggesting the MXM4 that is 235/45/19 because they are 98 Load, and say this difference is minor and not an issue.

Sounds iffy to me, and has me worried. Anyone agree this different size is okay?

Or does anyone know, do I really need the Tire Load Index to be at least 98 for the AWD Performance Model?
So you are seeing two issues. One is that tirerack has bad data some times. for a while they didnt think the model 3 was allowed to have 19" snow tires. The second is that even if Tirerack has the correct data the tires you see are limited by what they have in stock.

The Owners manual recommends
Continental, ProContact RX 235/40R19
Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 235/40R19
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 235/40R19

Id recommend searching by size 235/40R19 and then selecting "LOAD RANGE" -> XL this means that each tire will be rated to ~1500lbs which means each axel will be above the recommended front 2400lbs and rear 2700lbs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks very much, to both of you. I’m pretty sure that the 235/45/19 will “fit“ but I’m not sure if it’s a bad decision, given that the radius will indeed be slightly bigger (11 mm). I don’t know whether that’s unadvisable, whether it will impact the spedometer and odometer materially, or any other negative consequences.

The challenge I have with the owners manual recommendations is that it does not distinguish between AWD Performance and the other models. Maybe it’s the same for every model? But the guy at my tire store says the extra weight requires a higher load index. Does the AWD Performance weigh more than non-Performance models and require a higher load index?

Substantiating the question, at least, is the fact that both sets of tires Tesla sells for the AWD Performance have a load index rating of 98 (the original 18 inch Michelin MXM4 or the upgraded 20 inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4S), but the non-Performance models can be bought from Tesla with 19 inch wheels and tires (which cannot be purchased from Tesla for AWD Performance model, hence my shopping for 19 inch wheels and tires) that Garrett B identified, that all have a load index of 92.

In searching for load index of XL, qualifying tires apparently can have a load index of 95 or higher, so although I can find something with that rating, the Tire sales guy says don’t do it unless 98. He feels more strongly that I get the load index of 98 than he does that I get 235/35/19.

Any additional thoughts? Thanks

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
235/45/19 will indeed fit just fine.
Going to 235/45R19 takes the overall diameter up an inch which can cause rubbing and will affect the odo and speedo readings.

Thanks very much, to both of you. I’m pretty sure that the 235/45/19 will “fit“ but I’m not sure if it’s a bad decision, given that the radius will indeed be slightly bigger (11 mm). I don’t know whether that’s unadvisable, whether it will impact the spedometer and odometer materially, or any other negative consequences.

The challenge I have with the owners manual recommendations is that it does not distinguish between AWD Performance and the other models. Maybe it’s the same for every model? But the guy at my tire store says the extra weight requires a higher load index. Does the AWD Performance weigh more than non-Performance models and require a higher load index?

Substantiating the question, at least, is the fact that both sets of tires Tesla sells for the AWD Performance have a load index rating of 98 (the original 18 inch Michelin MXM4 or the upgraded 20 inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4S), but the non-Performance models can be bought from Tesla with 19 inch wheels and tires (which cannot be purchased from Tesla for AWD Performance model, hence my shopping for 19 inch wheels and tires) that Garrett B identified, that all have a load index of 92.

In searching for load index of XL, qualifying tires apparently can have a load index of 95 or higher, so although I can find something with that rating, the Tire sales guy says don’t do it unless 98. He feels more strongly that I get the load index of 98 than he does that I get 235/35/19.

Any additional thoughts? Thanks
So first I would check your car for its GAWR for the front and back (Should be in the door frame area) That is what matters. take each number and divide them by 2 and thats the minimum your tires should be for that axle. Then you take that number (in lbs) and find the corresponding load rating on a chart like https://www.tiresplus.com/tires/tire-buying-guide/tire-load-index-chart/

Secondly the AWD is the same weight as the PAWD and it is sold with 19" rims.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, this is helping me a lot, but still not without questions/concerns, if you don't mind.

Door sticker (see below) says:
GAWR FRT = 2447 lb, divided by 2 = 1224
GAWR RR = 2771 lb, divided by 2 = 1386

The load rating chart identifies Load Rating 92 = 1389.
Can I cut it that close and just get tires to my liking with at least a 92 load rating?

I did confirm what you said, Garrett, that total GVWR is the same for PAWD and non-PAWD at 4993 lb, so that gives a lot more comfort, despite the fact (at a minimum, strange coincidence) that the PAWD from Tesla only comes with tires with
load rating of 98.

Interestingly, the description at the www.tiresplus.com URL above does say
"Never install tires with a lower load carrying capacity than the original tires that were factory installed on your vehicle." But I suspect that's just boilerplate CYA language.

View attachment 14668

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, this is helping me a lot, but still not without questions/concerns, if you don't mind.

Door sticker (see below) says:
GAWR FRT = 2447 lb, divided by 2 = 1224
GAWR RR = 2771 lb, divided by 2 = 1386

The load rating chart identifies Load Rating 92 = 1389.
Can I cut it that close and just get tires to my liking with at least a 92 load rating?

I did confirm what you said, Garrett, that total GVWR is the same for PAWD and non-PAWD at 4993 lb, so that gives a lot more comfort, despite the fact (at a minimum, strange coincidence) that the PAWD from Tesla only comes with tires with
load rating of 98.

Interestingly, the description at the www.tiresplus.com URL above does say
"Never install tires with a lower load carrying capacity than the original tires that were factory installed on your vehicle." But I suspect that's just boilerplate CYA language.

View attachment 14668

View attachment 14669
So the 92 rating is the minimum in a equal load scenario (wieght isnt always equal across all 4 tires) . Id still recommend the 96 XL tires as those are the lowest OEM tires that come on the AWD 3. I'm sure the SC would gladly tell you what tire ratings and tires they recommend.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Really helpful, everyone. I'm going with OEM 19" size of 235/40/R19 and will get 96 XL tires. Thank you!