18" Wheel Curb Rash Paint Color?

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I hit the curb! The wheel has a 4 inch scrape revealing the black primer and a little shiny metal. The damage is cosmetic only. Is there a decent grey paint match? The aero cap is fine.

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the quick response! (I can't get the ink to work)
I bought it from my local auto parts store, so you may want to see if a store near you carries it so you don’t have to wait for it to be shipped.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought it from my local auto parts store, so you may want to see if a store near you carries it so you don’t have to wait for it to be shipped.
Good idea but I can't get image/link to work. What is the name of the product and color? Thanks for your help.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's definitely close, but I wouldn't call it perfect. I had a small 3/4 inch rash and picked this paint up based on the Model 3 Amazon review.

See my pictute of before, after 1 coat, 2 coats and final with clear coat.

I'm sure from a few feet nobody but me would notice. I hope to completely cover it with the set of rim blades I picked up.

Attachments

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
It's definitely close, but I wouldn't call it perfect. I had a small 3/4 inch rash and picked this paint up based on the Model 3 Amazon review.

See my pictute of before, after 1 coat, 2 coats and final with clear coat.
It does look like a slightly different color but I wonder if it's from the direction of the lighting since the rim no longer has the same contour. That contour difference is what makes it stand out to me (at least from your very clear and excellent photos).

For those who want a less detectable repair, maybe something like this sandable acrylic spotting putty would help:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVOL-1K-O...putty-fill-very-small-scratches-/322349830174

Multiple coats would be needed depending upon the depth of the damage. I'm not that particular and was pretty impressed with how a black permanent marker covered the wheel rash quickly. Obviously, you can still see the damage but it prevents your eyes from being drawn towards the bright, shiny spot.

Country
Country
I made a small repair with Dupli-Color AFM0360 touch-up paint. It's not a perfect match, but close enough for such small scratch. I'd say 80%? The aero rim has a very slight blue tint.

Last edited:

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got scrapes all over at this point, on 3 out of four wheels, after just four months, and even though I'm trying - really trying - not to do it any more.

I bought this paint . . . . gonna try it. Goal is for it to look better from five feet away and then live with it . . . . not willing to spend 3 X $150 to have it done right, since I've already proven I can't avoid it, so all I'd do is keep spending over and over again to have it re-done . . . . the paint is my only hope.

TeslaM3-KT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lasted 4.5 months before I finally curbed my first Aero wheel. Found this thread and purchased the AFM0360 touch-up paint stick. Color isn't exact as others above have mentioned but it's pretty darn close. One thing I may change up next time is find the rattle can version of this paint. I did not like the texture that the brush left and felt like an aerosol can would have sprayed a smoother finish.

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lasted 4.5 months before I finally curbed my first Aero wheel. Found this thread and purchased the AFM0360 touch-up paint stick. Color isn't exact as others above have mentioned but it's pretty darn close. One thing I may change up next time is find the rattle can version of this paint. I did not like the texture that the brush left and felt like an aerosol can would have sprayed a smoother finish.
View attachment 21051 View attachment 21052
That looks pretty darned good to me. Or rather, it's definitely close enough for my taste . . . .