17’ Model X75 with 14k tires?

Factory 20s -How many miles before replacement?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-15k

• 15-20k

• Total voters

JoeLustig

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I knew the tires wouldn’t last too long. I have 14k miles in 15 months, the outside edges of the front tires are very low. Psi is always right around 45. Suspension adjusts for some parking lots ect and I just adjusted the auto lowering to very high speeds (heard this could tear up the tires on longer hwy trips). What’s the best way to extend life and what tires should I go with to get more that 15-20k miles next time? I have the stock 20s you can’t rotate.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I have a 2017 X 100D with about 19,000 miles and stock 20” tires. I have not noticed any excessive or uneven wear on the tires. Could you post a picture of what yours are doing? Only on the front?

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The wear on the fronts suggests a possible alignment problem, likely too much toe-in, as follows:

1555613828789-png.24949

The wear on inside of the rear tires is a little more common on vehicles with independent multi-link rear suspension like Model X, especially when running at a lower ride height which would induce a bit more negative camber and put more load on the inside of the tires.
But the front wear is definitely a bit odd.
Having a wheel alignment done would be a good starting point to if anything is out-of-spec.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@JoeLustig I had my Model X at the SC this week for a door handle issue. We got talking about tires, as they noted that my tread looked exceptionally good for the number of miles. They said they’ve had some people needing to replace tires at 12k miles on their X. So I guess you do have company with the tire wear. They thought the more aggressive tire wear happens with non-highway driving (and most of mine is highway, so that would ring true for me). They said that with the staggered and directional tire setup, they’ve seen a lot of tires mounted wrong, and strongly suggested coming to the SC to avoid those issues. Ok to buy tires elsewhere and they would do installation for $120.

No earth shattering info here, but just tidbits I thought were worth passing on.