15000 mile average efficiency and report

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Max hit 15000 miles the other day after 7 months of ownership. Had to drive my old Volvo 240 for a few days and soon fell into old habits and expectations but when I got back into the Tesla I felt like I'd gone through a time warp. All the initial amazement and excitement and huge grin-on-the-face feeling I got when I first got the car came back again; the car still is hands down the most amazing thing I've ever driven. 7 months and 15k miles of sheer joy.

Those of you curious about long term ownership and driving experiences, I have nothing bad to report. In spite of Max being an early build car, I've had no noticeable rattles or creaks or groans, everything inside feels tight and solid still. Each software update I've gotten has always been an improvement, no hiccups really at all. As the tires wear, my range is going up too, an unexpected surprise. I expect to get 30k miles out of the factory 18 inch Michelins. I'll switch to snow tires in late September I think, right at the 3rd tire rotation mileage. The wipers feel like they're getting stiffer, they're not as silent as they were when new, I may start exploring options for replacing them before winter. Anyone done that yet?

Efficiency? Overall average over those 15k miles, since we've gotten the car, I see 3406 kWh used and 226 Wh/mi (works out to 330 miles of range). Cost of the juice needed to drive Max those past 7 months is around $290, give or take $10. I get some juice for free (county chargers), some at reduced rates at work, some at home, and I've taken 3 long trips needing Supercharging and I've sort of kept track of what I'm spending. Driving conditions during that time were under most all kinds of temperatures and conditions you can image. When I got the car it was snowy out, and have also driven through 110F heat down in Phoenix. It always performs perfectly with seemingly no effort needed no matter what.

I love this car. :)

Cid

Country
Country
Efficiency? Overall average over those 15k miles, since we've gotten the car, I see 3406 kWh used and 226 Wh/mi (works out to 330 miles of range).
So would it be correct to say that you're getting 4.4 miles per kW?

if a kW is $0.13 (13 cents), then your per mile cost is 3 cents. My GTI is pretty fuel efficient but I'm paying 9-10 cents per mile (premium 93 octane). I drive 30K miles per year, that means if I'm driving the Model 3 I'll be saving $1800/year, and with the longevity (hopefully) of the car, I can expect to save close to $11,000 over 6 years if gas prices hover at $3/gallon.

That's pretty awesome.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
if a kW is $0.13 (13 cents), then your per mile cost is 3 cents.
Residential cost here is about $0.11 per kWh, at work it's $0.08, and if I'm willing to park at the county chargers or our local community education center and walk home or to work while charging/topping up, it's free (for now). My overall cost is less than 2 cents per mile over the 7 months I've had the car. Even with "expensive" Supercharger costs on the long trips I've done!

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The 226wh/mi is very nice. Wish I had that. You live in a very hot area like me, and must run AC all the time, except winter.
I have only 1400 miles but average is 271wh/mi, but most of my miles are very high speed on highways. And AC has never been off.

Any clues as to why your wh/mile are so low?

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any clues as to why your wh/mile are so low?
1400 miles isn't really a long enough time to get a decent average IMHO. I've got 18 inch tires/wheels (that seems to matter as does whether it's new rubber or not), my morning commute to work (about 10 mi one way) has some stretches at 55 mph. Interstate Highway speed limits here are 75 mph, I use the A/C all the time but it's "high desert" so perhaps the car doesn't have to work so hard to cool me off(?), and of course air is less dense up here (7000 ft) so maybe I don't take as great a hit at higher highway speeds as you? Just guessing at most of this though and there are other threads where efficiency is discussed at great length. One thing for sure, I don't baby the car and I've given more rides/drives to people than I can keep track of and all of them want to try mashing the GO pedal to see what the car can do! ;)

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So would it be correct to say that you're getting 4.4 miles per kW?

if a kW is $0.13 (13 cents), then your per mile cost is 3 cents. My GTI is pretty fuel efficient but I'm paying 9-10 cents per mile (premium 93 octane). I drive 30K miles per year, that means if I'm driving the Model 3 I'll be saving $1800/year, and with the longevity (hopefully) of the car, I can expect to save close to $11,000 over 6 years if gas prices hover at $3/gallon.

That's pretty awesome.
Your calculations are correct! Great, isn’t it?!

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
1400 miles isn't really a long enough time to get a decent average IMHO. I've got 18 inch tires/wheels (that seems to matter as does whether it's new rubber or not), my morning commute to work (about 10 mi one way) has some stretches at 55 mph. Interstate Highway speed limits here are 75 mph, I use the A/C all the time but it's "high desert" so perhaps the car doesn't have to work so hard to cool me off(?), and of course air is less dense up here (7000 ft) so maybe I don't take as great a hit at higher highway speeds as you? Just guessing at most of this though and there are other threads where efficiency is discussed at great length. One thing for sure, I don't baby the car and I've given more rides/drives to people than I can keep track of and all of them want to try mashing the GO pedal to see what the car can do! ;)
I did overlook the elevation. I am at sea level. At 7K feet, the air is much thinner, and cooler. People can relate to mile-high stadium in Colorado and the home runs are easier.

And I am seeing more of the better reports with 18" tires like you, I have 19". I wonder what the Performance 20" tires will be? Somehow the 310 official mileage is questionable if 20" raises the wh/mile more.

And you will use A/C less than me. Your winters are definitely cooler, and I suspect there are days you can drive with windows down. For me that is very, very rare. Hasn't occurred yet since I took delivery in July.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And you will use A/C less than me. Your winters are definitely cooler, and I suspect there are days you can drive with windows down. For me that is very, very rare. Hasn't occurred yet since I took delivery in July.
My windows hardly ever are down. I hate wind noise. I hate pollen too. But yes, temperatures here are already in the 40s in the morning and I'm using the seat heaters occasionally and defroster too. That all takes juice as well.