14-50R install so many choices

/billy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, I want to install a 14-50R outlet in the wall, inside my garage that's seetrocked, connect it to a UMC and cable organizer. I'm thinking right below the service panel which is on the right side of the garage wall facing outside, see picture. But I wonder what's that section on the lower left hand side of the service panel area, and if I could run my romex wire through there inside the wall to get to the breaker box? I'm assuming I don't have enough room in the wall to put the outlet directly behind the service panel, right? Ooooor install the outlet right above the service panel area which is 6.5' high, and since the UMC power brick and pig tail plug is I'm guessing 20" in length, I could install the Tesla cable organizer directly underneath the UMC power brick.

[FONT=HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese, HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese_n5, HeiT ASC Traditional Chinese, HelveticaNeue-Regular, Helvetica Neue Regular, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just a thought... I installed my outlet just about as high as I could unplug it. That way it hangs down but still up relatively high rather than getting in the way. Easier to avoid something head and shoulder height than lower when trying to get around the car in the garage.

The panels are usually about wall thickness so unless it really sticks out from the wall there probably isn't any usable room behind it. I ran mine right next to my panel. I had to get a plug popped out and drill a hole through the stud along the side of the panel and fit a grommet in there so the wire can't rub on the rough edge. because your panel is probably between two studs that makes it harder to go out to either side of the panel. Might be easier t go out top depending on height. Mine was too high there and all the other wiring runs up that way so was not any easier.

/billy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the info scaots. My breaker box is inbetween the studs, I'm thinking of mounting above breaker box to look like a clean install, with the power brick and all.

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
20180603_093609_hdr-jpg.9586

My plug is about 6.5 feet high and with the tight socket I would not be able to unplug it from any higher. Just be careful going above it as it is likely that all your other wiring runs up that way so it may be a little crowded up there.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks for the info scaots. My breaker box is inbetween the studs, I'm thinking of mounting above breaker box to look like a clean install, with the power brick and all.
Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying, do NOT mount the HPWC above the breaker box!

Also, I would hard wire it (not plug it into a 14/50R). It sounds like the wire length will be short so it won't cost any more to do a higher amperage install. Every connection in the power feed (whether it's a plug, splice or set screw) adds resistance to the circuit. This will likely be your single largest consumer of electricity in the household so small losses can add up to be significant. Always wire as close and direct as practical and don't skimp on capacity. You may need it someday.

The Model 3 is a gem of a car and electric cars are only going to get better (and less expensive).

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you need to put a box in the wall, you need to be mindful of where the wires run for all the other circuits. It could be pretty crowded right above the box or below depending on how it's wired.

/billy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm just plugging in a UMC just like scaots, I'll definitely check the wiring above the breaker box.

Hey @scaots can you please tell me how many inches is it from the top of the UMC plug portion to the bottom of it's power brick?

/billy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the tesla cable organizer, so I was thinking of putting the bottom of the outlet starting 6'9" (2" above breaker box area), and the cable organizer (which has a whole behind it to run the cable) an inch directly below the power brick so it would look like it's all one unit sorta.

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
20180603_182858-jpg.9637

and this is what is above my box, but others could go in any or all directions depending on install...
img_0617-jpg.9638

scaots

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool looks like 14", ya I see why you didn't put you box on top, wires all over the place.
Not quite clear on what you are doing, but probably looking at at least 16" tall to completely cover the outlet plate and the UMC box.