100,000 all-electric miles

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hit a pretty big milestone today. I passed 100,000 miles in my Nissan Leaf. That's even more amazing when you consider it now only has 7 of the original 12 battery capacity bars remaining. A 100% charge yesterday resulted in an indicated 45 miles of range. I've stated my disappointment in Nissan's battery technology here in the past. And I'm really disappointed that Nissan hasn't tried to do anything to make up for this failure and attempt to keep us Leaf owners when it comes time to replace our cars.

But ignoring the battery capacity issue (and the strange styling), the Leaf has been a wonderful car. It introduced me to the world of driving electric vehicles. The instant torque from a stop is more than just addicting - it's a *feature*. And once you get used to it, it is no longer enjoyable to drive a combustion vehicle. I've now replaced the Leaf with a Model 3 (which I will hopefully ceramic coat this week, and actually start driving soon after). But the Leaf is remaining in our household for the foreseeable future - I have a 16yo on a learner's permit, and he's not going to be driving Yolandi. ;)

So, thank you Nissan for the wonderful, quirky, yet flawed car that is the Nissan Leaf. I wish you could have taken advantage of that first-mover position to actually give Tesla a run for their money. It's not too late for a fast-follow, but you have to convince us existing owners that you've solved your battery issues before we'll become repeat owners.

Last edited:

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...the Leaf is remaining in our household for the foreseeable future - I have a 16yo on a learner's permit, and he's not going to be driving Yolandi. ;)

Perfect match for a new driver, a classic Leaf and a kid who won't be able to get too far! Excellent parenting @garsh!

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's awesome! I've been BEV only for a bit over three years now. Not as much mileage, but not going to gas stations (save for chainsaw gas and when renting cars on vacation) has been GREAT!

Yolandi? as in Visser?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's awesome! I've been BEV only for a bit over three years now. Not as much mileage, but not going to gas stations (save for chainsaw gas and when renting cars on vacation) has been GREAT!
My chainsaw is electric. As are my lawnmowers. I even just bought an electric snowblower.

But I did replace my electric pressure washer with a gasoline one... to wash my electric car. That's pretty messed up, right? :confused:

Yolandi? as in Visser?
I named my Leaf Ninja, because Nissan wanted a name when I was setting up the remote access stuff, and I came up with that in 2 seconds, because it's black. With a little more advance notice to think up a name this time, Yolandi seemed like a good complement to Ninja. And I'm guessing it's going to be a fairly unique name among Tesla owners. Unlike... say, "White Knight". :D

Last edited:

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My chainsaw is electric. As are my lawnmowers. I even just bought an electric snowblower.

But I did replace my electric pressure washer for a gasoline one... to wash my electric car. That's pretty messed up, right? :confused:

I named my Leaf Ninja, because Nissan wanted a name when I was setting up the remote access stuff, and I came up with that in 2 seconds, because it's black. With a little more advance notice to think up a name this time, Yolandi seemed like a good complement to Ninja. And I'm guessing it's going to be a fairly unique name among Tesla owners. Unlike... say, "White Knight". :D
Nice work going electric with the lawn equipment. I do have a small electric chainsaw, but on my property I also need something that can handle a 20" bar and last most of the day away from any power source, so an electric alternative is not quite here yet.

I figured that was the name reference, not to many Yolandi's out there. Good match for a performance model 3, some may see it and say think it's just a little economy ev, but this one you don't want to mess with. :cool:

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn’t have been able to make it to and from the high school I attended with such little range.
Maybe you could have driven it half way and continued walking in the sludge and snow.

50 miles is more than work commute for 90% of the people

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But "Stuff happens", and you often end up wanting to run an errand on your way home. I can no longer do so, unless that errand happens to be almost exactly on my way home. It's quite restricting.

And for those who don't have charging at work, that 50-mile range means you can only perform a 25-mile commute. Then subtract range for cold and snow. And you would prefer to have a buffer when you arrive back home, rather than hoping you make it just before the car shuts down.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe you could have driven it half way and continued walking in the sludge and snow.

I lived in Florida then so no sludge/snow. Just intense heat and thunderstorms. ~30 miles one way.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats garsh, quite a milestone. Agree with you on several fronts. Loved the car but it puzzled me how Nissan with all their resources couldn’t give us a car with a little more range. Back when we bought our ‘11, even 100 miles was pie in the sky. Car never got more than 70 brand new, quickly dropping to around 50-60 most of its life. We didn’t get down to the 8th bar until the 6th year so Nissan wouldn’t replace the battery (they did replace our ‘13 though last year).

We gave it to a business associates mother to drive for the last couple of years and it was down to about 35-40 miles but suited her needs as she was retired. Finally sold it last month for $6K. My brother saw the guy a couple weeks later and he couldn’t have been happier. Guess to each their own :)

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats garsh, quite a milestone. Agree with you on several fronts. Loved the car but it puzzled me how Nissan with all their resources couldn’t give us a car with a little more range. Back when we bought our ‘11, even 100 miles was pie in the sky. Car never got more than 70 brand new, quickly dropping to around 50-60 most of its life. We didn’t get down to the 8th bar until the 6th year so Nissan wouldn’t replace the battery (they did replace our ‘13 though last year).

We gave it to a business associates mother to drive for the last couple of years and it was down to about 35-40 miles but suited her needs as she was retired. Finally sold it last month for $6K. My brother saw the guy a couple weeks later and he couldn’t have been happier. Guess to each their own :)
If it was easy to make efficient battery's all the major car companies would have their own EV out. I think it took some Space X engineering to get Tesla where it is today, although they will never admit that

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it was easy to make efficient battery's all the major car companies would have their own EV out. I think it took some Space X engineering to get Tesla where it is today, although they will never admit that
If this is true, I do not understand why Panasonic isn't making it more known they are a part of it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If this is true, I do not understand why Panasonic isn't making it more known they are a part of it.
Panasonic's customers for their cells are other businesses, not us end-consumers.
Don't worry - they're making it very well known to other potential customers.

But also, I'm sure there's an agreement where they can't offer Tesla's specific chemistry to anybody else. But they can still point to their ability to manufacture half of the world's entire supply of battery cells. :)