Country

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So that seems to indicate my wife’s dual motor should get 1 year if we use my referral code. I’m going to find out with Tesla on that!

Watts4me

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ugh, I wish they would quit offering free supercharging as an incentive. Give a HPWC or cash discount or something, anything else.
Some people will buy knowing that they may never use a supercharger but once or twice a year. That feeling of getting something "free" is priceless.
Tesla on the other hand wins.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’d use about $50 of supercharging a year so over 10 years that would be a whopping $500 value.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So that seems to indicate my wife’s dual motor should get 1 year if we use my referral code. I’m going to find out with Tesla on that!
it looks like it is on spare inventory cars, not orders though
"come on down to Crazy Elon's Tesla lot and pick out your favorite inventory car and get 1 year free supercharging. hurry, while the pickings are still good!"

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ugh, I wish they would quit offering free supercharging as an incentive. Give a HPWC or cash discount or something, anything else.
Yeah, I'd agree that offering unlimited supercharging for [x] period isn't the best idea for Tesla right now, as superchargers become increasingly crowded, and growth of the supercharger network has slowed to a halt in order to reduce capex for Q3 and Q4. Plus, some of us just don't road-trip that often, and would prefer not to find out whether supercharging exclusively has any negative impact on the health of our battery pack.

By contrast, in the latest iteration of the referral program (apart from this end-of-quarter promotion), Tesla is offering $100 supercharger credits for referrals. This seems like a much better idea to me -- for both Tesla and the buyer -- than giving away unlimited supercharging for a year. Tesla gets the benefit of knowing that the net cost of providing this benefit will never exceed $100/vehicle (< 0.1% of $64K+), and the buyer gets to use those supercharger credits anytime over the life of their ownership, rather than having an incentive to supercharge as much as possible over the first year.

At $0.22/kW and 250 Wh/mile, $100 works out to over 1800 miles of free travel. I'd take that in a heartbeat over unlimited supercharging for a year, because with my driving patterns, I'd get much more value out of it.

Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it looks like it is on spare inventory cars, not orders though
"come on down to Crazy Elon's Tesla lot and pick out your favorite inventory car and get 1 year free supercharging. hurry, while the pickings are still good!"
Yeah, Fred's wording is a bit confusing... At first, it appears that the "inventory" qualifier only applies to Model S and X, but then he references "inventory Model 3s" in the Electrek's Take section out of the blue. I'd definitely confirm that all custom-ordered Model 3s qualify with a knowledgeable party at Tesla. Or three or four, just to be sure. :)