0-60 times at various battery SOC levels

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My butt dyno is telling me there is a good deal more 'oomph' at 70%+ charge than there is at 50% and under. Has anyone else noticed or tested this?

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny you should ask. There's a posting over in the Experiences thread (Model 3 with RWD is all the fast you need!, Post 85 and ff) where we've done some 0-60 mph runs with a G-Tech. The discussion sprouted out of people feeling that Tesla had "nerfed" the performance with a recent software update. One of the cars tested is a 2017 model with an older software update, the other is a 2018 with a very recent update. On the same stretch of road in similar conditions we noticed no difference between 0-60 times at 95% SoC or at 60% SoC. Both of our cars came in right at about 5.1 to 5.2 seconds too (Factory Spec), which is within the error of the G-Tech. Chill mode was around 8 seconds. Still need to do the CHILL measurmeent a bit more carefully.

Last edited:

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My butt dyno is telling me
I need one of those. ;) It seems you're right. I found my favorite stretch of road, just me this time so the car was missing about 150 pounds of extra person, and it was dark so the headlights were on. Otherwise roughly the same conditions as the previous tests. 41 psi showing on the tire pressure all around. 2017 model, early suspension, 18 inch Aeros, 21.9 software.
State of Charge: 142 miles of range, less than 50%.
0-60 mph: 5.4 seconds. Both ways.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
FYI. Here is what the Max Power by State of Charge (SoC) looks like for the rest of the lineup. Initial torque doesn't change by SoC, but a few seconds into the performance run where the power levels out is very dependent on SoC...

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool! By the way, did a sanity check tonight after writing the above post. I charged the car back up to 212 miles of range tonight and reran the tests just now. Indeed faster 0-60 mph times. I again saw some sub 5 second runs. Average with about 60% charge is back around 5.1 seconds. Give or take 0.1 seconds or so.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll add it to my list of things to try. Left the G-Tech home today but perhaps I can test that out tonight as well. I never hear any protest from the tires but I wondered about that. Mashing the pedal certainly is a jolting experience!

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very helpful and may explain why some people feel that certain firmware releases decrease or increase acceleration.... not the firmware just your battery charge state when you first drive after uploading the new firmware

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is an image of the power at every SOC along with Motor RPM and ground speed on the X-axis.]
I *really* wish you had done a run at 100% SOC. I know you don't believe it will matter, based on the similarity of the 90% and 95% runs.

But I'd like to see it proven. :)

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I *really* wish you had done a run at 100% SOC. I know you don't believe it will matter, based on the similarity of the 90% and 95% runs.

But I'd like to see it proven. :)
Perhaps you can lend him your car for that test. :D

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for verifying my butt dyno is a highly calibrated, accurate instrument. I have added MPH to the chart so the Americans don't get confused.

View attachment 13502
Even at 100 mph and low battery, it has more horsepower than my 2005 Honda Accord. I don't know if I'll be able to handle all that power. :)

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great info @Sasha Anis ;)

Makes me want to step up my daily charge limit a few notches to stay in that power band a little longer throughout the day.

Currently do 75% each night and end up in the 55-65% range before charging again.