“CarKey” anyone?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

scottsha

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
According to Apple, the next update to IOS and the watch will include the “CarKey” feature, that will Lock/Unlick NFC capable vehicles. Will this include Tesla?

I hope I stated the question correctly. I have a M3, iPhone 8+, and a Apple Watch 4.

TYIA!

Reactions: 1 person

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
According to Apple, the next update to IOS and the watch will include the “CarKey” feature, that will Lock/Unlick NFC capable vehicles. Will this include Tesla?

I hope I stated the question correctly. I have a M3, iPhone 8+, and a Apple Watch 4.

TYIA!

Would be interesting to see how it's implemented. Though I'd imagine it'd be no different then just using the keycard included with the car. ie, everyone will rely on BT 99% of the time and use the keycard/nfc option on the rare (and getting rarer by the day) occasion BT doesn't work.

Reactions: 1 person

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think it would be less convenient, as the NFC in the iPhone requires you to touch the surface with it or get very close to it. So you'd have to touch the center pillar with your phone rather than simply walking up to the car as with Bluetooth pairing.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think it would be less convenient, as the NFC in the iPhone requires you to touch the surface with it or get very close to it. So you'd have to touch the center pillar with your phone rather than simply walking up to the car as with Bluetooth pairing.

It’d be a great emergency access option (if BT isn’t working). Though there’s the risk of relying on it and having your phone die/lost.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What would you expect Apple to work with? A model that is a very low percentage of the overall market? Or solutions that are currently implemented on most of the cars in the market?

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It’d be a great emergency access option (if BT isn’t working). Though there’s the risk of relying on it and having your phone die/lost.
I agree. I have suggested this kind of functionality before. It would be a nice "spare" as peace of mind.

Granted you have to keep your phone charged. But those of us that drive an EV no longer have an excuse. We keep our transportation charged, no reason we should ever have a dead car or phone in 2020

Designbot

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This would be pretty cool as a backup. It works when your phone battery is dead, works with your Apple Watch, and you can even message people a temporary key to get into your car when you're not there.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a OnePlus 7 that is paired to unlock my Model 3 with BT and I just had to enable NFC to make it work like the Tesla card.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No. Much simpler. Once I set up my phone's BT as key, I red about NFC and enabled it on my phone and it worked.
So the car security system can recognize my phone as a valid user from BT or NFC.
Obviously NFC required your phone to be on and present. So not as handy as walk up and unlock. But if you have BT issues, it is easier than using the App to wake-up and unlock the car.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No. Much simpler. Once I set up my phone's BT as key, I red about NFC and enabled it on my phone and it worked.
So the car security system can recognize my phone as a valid user from BT or NFC.
Obviously NFC required your phone to be on and present. So not as handy as walk up and unlock. But if you have BT issues, it is easier than using the App to wake-up and unlock the car.
If you turn off bluetooth, do you need to tap the phone to the B-pillar in order for the car to unlock, like you would using a keycard?

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes. And the phone has to be unlocked when you tap. You can also tap to lock. Just like the card. And drive away without tapping the center console if you do it quickly. (30 seconds?)
Here's where it gets weird. With BT on, when I walk into the garage and by the car, it will wake up. That is it will click and clack and start the coolant pump(s) but not unlock until I grab the door handle.
With BT off, it will still wake up but not let me into the car unless I unlock the phone and tap the B pillar.